The Burma collection is currently a limited edition of one-of-a-kind totes. Each vegetable-tanned leather tote is handcrafted with a portion of textile, handwoven by women in Burma. Through delicate and time-consuming craftswomanship, they create regionally specific patterns in cotton and wool. This version has pull-through straps that allow it to be worn as a tote or a backpack, like the original Ziggy.
- dimensions: 14" H, 14" W, 4" D
- rust colored vegetable-tanned leather from Horween Tannery in Chicago
- woven panel in navy, crimson and cream, handmade by women in Burma
- solid brass, antiqued hardware
- buckle adjustable, vegetable-tanned leather straps from Italy
- Can be worn as a backpack or over the shoulder as a tote
- 14" navy and brass zipper top closure
- lined in heavy-weight, cotton canvas
- interior, 7" wide, 6" deep zippered pocket
- 3.75" wide, exterior cell phone pocket
- solid brass feet
- key leash
- front of bag and tote stamped with Life on Mars Goods logo
No two totes will be exactly the same - each created around the colors and design of the portion of weaving, with which I begin. I aim to honor the weavers' creativity by making each a special piece, with an identity of its own.
Life on Mars Goods is a sustainable maker, dedicated to using natural materials, and finding less toxic, more environmentally-friendly alternatives to many of the synthetic products found in fast fashion bags and accessories.
I look for leathers that are tanned without carcinogenic chrome and not coated with polyurethane, as many on the market are. I avoid plastics, as much as possible, and use water-based adhesives. I ship in recycled boxes and pack with biodegradable tape. My aim is to offer products that last you for years and reconnect us with the natural world.
Handmade by a real person in Chicago.