Burma Tote with Detachable Clutch - Blue, Grey or Sand
The Burma collection is currently a limited edition of one-of-a-kind totes. Each vegetable-tanned leather tote is handcrafted with a portion of textile, handwoven by women in Burma. Through delicate and time-consuming craftswomanship, they create regionally specific patterns in cotton and wool. This work is an important source of income for their families.
- dimensions: 14" H, 14" W, 4" D
- chrome-free, veg-tanned leather
- woven panel, handmade by women in Burma
- solid brass hardware
- collar button adjustable, brown leather straps
- zipper top closure
- internal zippered 6" x 9" pocket unsnaps to double as a clutch
- solid brass feet
- key leash
- front of bag and tote stamped with Life on Mars Goods logo
- Deep Blue Sea features light tan handles and antique brass hardware
- Stone Grey features light tan handles and antique brass hardware
- Sand features brown handles and antique brass hardware
Because I have only a limited amount of their weaving right now, there is a limited amount of totes. I am working to find ways to regularly order from these talented women, who rely heavily on tourism and the sale of their art as a means to earn a living. Travel bans and canceled trips, resulting from the COVID-19 crisis, have hampered their limited opportunities.
No two totes will be exactly the same - each created around the colors and design of the portion of weaving, with which I begin. I aim to honor their creativity by making each a special piece, with an identity of its own.
Life on Mars Goods is a sustainable maker, dedicated to using natural materials, and finding less toxic, more environmentally-friendly alternatives to many of the synthetic products found in fast fashion bags and accessories.
I look for leathers that are tanned without carcinogenic chrome and not coated with polyurethane, as many on the market are. I avoid plastics, as much as possible, and use water-based adhesives. My aim is to offer products that are functional and shorten the distance between you and the natural world.
Handmade by a real person in Chicago.