The Burma collection is a limited edition of one-of-a-kind bags. Each vegetable-tanned leather piece is handcrafted with a portion of textile, handwoven by women in Burma. Through delicate and time-consuming craftswomanship, they create regionally specific patterns in cotton and wool. This work is an important source of income for their families.
- dimensions: 13" H, 12" W, 4.5" D
- chestnut-colored, veg-tanned leather from Horween Tannery in Chicago
- woven panel, handmade by women in Burma
- solid brass hardware
- slider-adjustable leather straps with trigger snap clips
- wear as a backpack or with a single strap as a crossbody/shoulder bag
- YKK zipper top closure
- 10 oz cotton canvas lining with open media pocket and 7" zippered pocket
- exterior side pocket
- front of bag is stamped with Life on Mars Goods logo
Because I have only a limited amount of their weaving right now, there is a limited amount in the Burma Collection. I am working to find ways to regularly order from these talented women, who rely heavily on tourism and the sale of their art as a means to earn a living. A military coup in their country, halting of tourism and the COVID-19 pandemic have hampered their work opportunities and ability to communicate with those outside Myanmar.
Life on Mars Goods is a sustainable maker, dedicated to using natural materials, and finding less toxic, more environmentally-friendly alternatives to many of the synthetic products found in fast fashion bags and accessories.
Handmade by a real person in Chicago.